The SAE-A presents the SAE-A Student Seminars (SSS); a series of informative lectures designed to address the key fundamentals of engineering design, construction and professionalism.
- Impact of aerodynamic on fuel economy and related attributes
- Aerodynamics Fundamentals.
- Aerodynamic and Vehicle Development Process
- Design Verification methods
- Public domain aero data and Gimmicks
- Overview of the Ford Fusion/Mondeo as a case study
PRESENTER: Dr. NEIL LEWINGTON
Completed a PhD in active flow control for high lift systems with air jet vortex generators at City University London.
In 2002, Neil joined McLaren Racing as an aerodynamicist in the formula 1
team, where after 5 years was entirely responsible for the CFD group within the aerodynamics department.
After his time at McLaren Racing, Neil became a part of the aerodynamics and CFD team at Ford of Australia, amidst the development of the highly successful Ford Ranger.
Neil is the winner of the SAE-A's Mobility Engineering Excellence Awards 2015, Gold and Platinum honours.
Currently he is the Technical Specialist and Supervisor for Aerodynamics at Ford Asia Pacific, and is tasked with the challenge of meeting the brand promise: to ensure Ford provides fun and exciting cars with exceptional fuel economy.
BENEFIT TO ATTENDEES:
- Insight into the fundamentals of aerodynamics as applied to road vehicles
- An understanding of how a global company approaches delivering vehicles with good aerodynamic characteristics
- An awareness of the constraints and limitations that surround some of the data and statements in the public domain.
STYLE OF PRESENTATION:
Fundamental concepts for aerodynamics, without the heavy presence of weighty equations. The presentation will demonstrate how engineers apply the aerodynamic principles to deliver the final product. Attendees are encouraged to engage and ask questions throughout, to ensure as interactive a session as possible.
All sessions will be conducted online via Webinar.
An invitation link sent will be sent on the day of the webinar.